Please add date/time stamp to disconnect messages

0 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@taa1)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

It would help a great deal to show when a connection got terminated so I can try to pin point what might have been going on at the time. [img size=460] [/img]

ReplyQuote
(@bpence)
Member Admin

This is a good idea. I throw it into the list.

ReplyQuote
(@taa1)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thank you in advance!

ReplyQuote
(@taa1)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

did you already add this to the recent RC executables? if so, it still disconnects without a date/time stamp

ReplyQuote
(@bpence)
Member Admin

This change made it into the final version of 11.39.

Enjoy!

For most machines, 64/32 bit version:
http://www.celestialsoftware.net/telnet/AbsoluteTelnet11.39.exe

If you want scripting features enabled, this only works in 32 bit version, but will run on either 64 bit or 32 bit machines:
http://www.celestialsoftware.net/telnet/AbsoluteTelnet32.11.39.exe

ReplyQuote
(@taa1)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

in [url= https://www.celestialsoftware.net/configuration-issues/9021-constantly-getting-a-message-about-modified-file.html#9072 ]a different post[/url] you wrote:

And I DID make a last minute change to add a timestamp in the toolbar to indicate when a disconnect occurred. Enjoy!

unfortunately it isn't working in the final version. see attached screen capture.

ReplyQuote
(@bpence)
Member Admin

Sorry, I should be more specific. The disconnect date/time is in the statusbar, not on screen

[img size=483] [/img]

ReplyQuote
(@bpence)
Member Admin

And yes, the forum software does suck. It's old, quirky, and difficult to work with. Following the release of 11.39, my next priority is a complete overhaul of the website. It's not my strong suit, and so doesn't get much priority.

ReplyQuote
(@taa1)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

aha, i see it now. i know it may seem like a small thing but this helps me tremendously -- thank you!

ReplyQuote
(@taa1)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

well shoot, now that i've had a couple more disconnects happen, i guess i did a terrible job in wording my request.

i discovered what the change actually does by being away from my computer for several hours, during which time one of my server connections got dropped. when i got back to my computer, i saw the dialog window that says, "You have been disconnected from the host you were connected to. Do you want to exit?" ("Always ask this question?" is CHECKED). i then have two options, click on YES or NO.

at the point when the dialog window appears, the status line has not been updated yet

if i click on YES, the tab closes. this would be okay if the status line already had the disconnect timestamp, but it doesn't.

if i click on NO, the tab stays open, however, the timestamp that gets added to the status line is the date/time when i click on NO.

this means no matter which button i click, i still have no info on what date/time the server actually got disconnected.

i reported in my previous post that the change was working, but that's because the disconnect happened while i was already doing stuff in absolute telnet. i clicked on NO (don't exit) and the status line was updated with the time. it gave the appearance of correctly reporting the disconnect date/time because the disconnect had [i]just happened[/i].

to clarify, when i asked, "Please add date/time stamp to disconnect messages" i meant i wanted to know when the active network connection got dropped. i didn't mean i wanted to know when i clicked on the NO button to exit. to put it another way, i'm trying to determine when the server gets actually disconnected, not when i acknowledge the disconnect.

i'm sorry i did not communicate my request clearly, but hopefully i have now. can this change be implemented?

ReplyQuote
(@bpence)
Member Admin

uncheck the 'always ask this question' and click NO. That disables that dialog altogether and the message will reflect the disconnect time, not the dialog time.

ReplyQuote
Share: