Clear all

Bulk creation of new connection files

0 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
(@taa1)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I have a simple text file with two columns -- SSH hostname (or IP address) and username. There are over fifty rows. I know .tnt files are a binary format.

I've created a .tnt file that can serve as a template with defaults I like. I could conceivably create a few templates to handle the vast majority of the common usernames (e.g., the default username 'pi' for all the Raspberry Pi connections).

What are some ways I can quickly turn the 50+ rows into 50+ .tnt connection files? There doesn't seem to be an import function in AT.

- If my template .tnt file had a placeholder hostname of say 30 Xs, would a binary-friendly search-and-replace be sufficient to replace the X's with the hostname? If a hostname is say 10 characters, is it sufficient to replace the remaining 20 Xs with spaces?

- Could AT's embedded VB script engine be utilized to assist in this task?

ReplyQuote
(@bpence)
Member Admin

Instead of creating a bunch of identical TNT files, you might try this:

1. Set all of your preferred settings for the app (color, font, size, but excluding username and hostname) Then on the options/global tab, choose 'save all current settings as application global default'
2. Create an html page with your username/hostname combinations reformatted as links like this:
"ssh:username@servername.domain"

Then, you can use the html page to easily launch the app and jump to any server.

Does this help?

ReplyQuote
(@taa1)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

That's a great idea, I hadn't thought of that. Let me work with it and see how it goes.

ReplyQuote
(@bpence)
Member Admin

Any update on that?

ReplyQuote
(@taa1)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi Brian,

In case it matters, I'm using the tabbed interface.

Unfortunately I can't seem to get the 'save all current settings as application global default' to work as suggested. As a temporary proof-of-concept test, I created bookmarks in my browser using the ssh: protocol for the URL. When I click on the bookmark, it correctly launches AbsoluteTelnet in a new tab but it isn't using the Global settings; it seems to use defaults with a fresh installation of AbsoluteTelnet.

For one of the browser launched tabs, if I go into Options->Properties->Global->Edit Defaults, the defaults I see there are what I expect to see.

What would you like me to try next?

ReplyQuote
(@bpence)
Member Admin

So the global defaults are there, but they don't appear to be *used* as the default properties for a *new* connection? I'll have a look at that. Give me a day.

ReplyQuote
Share: