Notifications
Clear all

Change password at next logon for VMS

0 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
(@kfairba)
Topic starter  

I am using AbsoluteTelnet 7.17 to connect to an OpenVMS V7.3-2 system with SSH2 installed and configured. When I try to logon with a user that has their password expired, there is never a response back to change the password. I have checked SSH2 on VMS and it is set to allow Non-VMS logins with expired passwords.

I try the same logon ID with PUTTY and it works fine. Is there some setting I am missing in AbsoluteTelnet to allow an ID with an expired password to logon and change their password?

Thank you!

ReplyQuote
(@bpence)
Member Admin

Can you try the keyboard-interactive authentication? This is the default in putty.

On Options->Properties->Connection->ssh2->authentication, check the box for keyboard-interactive login, then attempt the login.

If this doesn't help, let me know.

Brian

ReplyQuote
(@kfairba)
Topic starter  

I tried the option for "Use Keyboard-interactive login", but still get no response back to change the password.

ReplyQuote
(@kfairba)
Topic starter  

I installed a different emulator application to test its response to this situation and it allowed the password change. Seems it has something to do with AbsoluteTelnet. Any ideas for a work-around? Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@bpence)
Member Admin

What happens exactly when you try to connect with Absolute? Does the connect just fail?

Can you tell me what version of ssh server you're using? To do this, look at the Options->SSH INFO after a successful connection.

Brian

ReplyQuote
(@kfairba)
Topic starter  

When I connect to the server with an ID that has the password expired so that the user will have to change the password on the first logon, I can connect. I enter the ID and password and press enter. Then I should get a message to change the password, but this request never comes. The screen just remains unchanged with no response. No message to change the password ever comes. With other applications such as PUTTY and SecureCRT, the response back to change the password is almost instantaneous. I have attached the screen that shows the SSH INFO. Thank you!

Server ID: SSH-2.0-3.2.0 SSH Secure Shell OpenVMS V5.5 VMS_sftp_version 3

ReplyQuote
(@bpence)
Member Admin

So it just lets you login?!?!

I've been testing expired passwords with OpenSSH, and it seems to work ok on my Linux system, but perhaps VMS is different.

Could you could create a test account for me with an expired password to allow me to see what's going on?

If not, I'd have to send you a debug version that will spit out a log that will allow me to analyze the problem.

ReplyQuote
(@kfairba)
Topic starter  

I never actually get logged on. I enter the ID and temporary PW, but then no response back. AbsoluteTelnet shows that it is connected via SSH, but no response back to change the password. As mentioned earlier, PUTTY and SecureCRT have no problem responding back that the PW needs to be changed and allows it.

Unfortunately, this is behind a firewall and no access outside is allowed. Please send the debug version with instructions and I will run that ASAP. Thank you!

ReplyQuote
(@bpence)
Member Admin

I've been doing some reading and working on a solution for this. I think I know what is going on and I have a version I need for you to test:

http://www.celestialsoftware.net/telnet/AbsoluteTelnet7.18.exe

ReplyQuote
(@bpence)
Member Admin

I posted an update last night. Were you able to try my recommendation?

ReplyQuote
(@kfairba)
Topic starter  

I have tried it and it works! Many thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@kfairba)
Topic starter  

Well, I guess I didn't try this update far enough. The window comes back and asks for the previous password and the new password, but never accepts the new password.

Again, with other terminal emulators, this works. Any possibility of checking a little further into this? Thank you!

ReplyQuote
(@bpence)
Member Admin

This is still a work in progress, so thanks for trying it out. Can you please send me screen snapshots of what you're seeing, starting with the login dialog and each dialog you see after that.

I have trouble testing this myself because OpenSSH (my test server) does not work the same way as your VMS SSH. VMS borrows from FSecure SSH which works a little different in this regard. Your server is making use of some SSH features that allow for password change requests as part of the SSH login. Openssh, on the other hand, will authenticate the session, then force a password change at the session level using 'passwd'.

Stick with me on this and we'll get it licked.

Thank you for your patience.

Brian

ReplyQuote
(@kfairba)
Topic starter  

Attached are the screen shots. If you need any other information, please let me know. Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@kfairba)
Topic starter  

Other screen shots.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: